[i18n] imp/turba/ingo language issues

amy.rich@tufts.edu amy.rich at tufts.edu
Thu Jun 30 13:26:48 PDT 2005

Greetings, I'm running:

Solaris 8
Imp 4.0.3
Ingo 1.0.1
Horde 3.0.4
Turba 2.0.2
GNU Gettext 0.14.4
PHP 4.3.11
Apache 1.3.31
mysql 3.23.56 server (preference back end) and 4.0.23a client

We've compiled php with GNU gettext, based on other comments on the vaious
horde mailing lists.  We've also installed the N number of language support
files from Sun.  When I select, say, Deutsch from the horde login menu, it
seems like horde is translated correctly, but the other applications under the
framework are not.

My guess is that it's not setting the textdomain correctly or maybe it's
another oddity with the preference locking issues in horde 3.0.4.

I've written a quick php script (chosing some messages from both the horde and
imp po files) to test that gettext IS actually translating correctly if you
give it the right info:

<?php

      setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, 'de_DE');
      putenv('LANG=de_DE');
      putenv('LANGUAGE=de_DE');
      // Specify location of translation tables
      bindtextdomain('horde', './locale');
      bindtextdomain('imp', './imp/locale');

      // Choose domain
      textdomain('horde');
      // Print the already tested message
      echo _("  commit      Commit translations to the CVS server.");
      echo '<br />';

      // this should print the same.
      echo dgettext('horde', '  commit      Commit translations to the CVS server.');
      echo '<br />';

      textdomain('imp');
      echo _("Quota status: %.2fMB / %.2fMB  (%.2f%%)");
      echo '<br />';

      // this should print the same.
      echo dgettext('imp', 'Quota status: %.2fMB / %.2fMB  (%.2f%%)');
      echo '<br />';

      ?>

As expected, my output is:

commitbersetzungen auf dem CVS-Server einchecken.
commitbersetzungen auf dem CVS-Server einchecken.
Speicherplatz-Kontingent: %.2fMB / %.2fMB (%.2f%%)
Speicherplatz-Kontingent: %.2fMB / %.2fMB (%.2f%%)

However, when I choose Deutsch on the login screen (the login screen
translates), and access imp, everything but the "last login" message (which is
in the horde po file) still shows up in English.

Is this a known issue?  If so, is there a fix?
Thanks...

--
Amy Rich <amy.rich at tufts.edu>
University Systems Group, Tufts University