[i18n] .CAT flag

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Apr 7 09:40:15 PDT 2006

Quoting Oriol Torra Sellares <oriol at lacetani.net>:

> http://www.domini.cat/en_index.php
>
> On September 16th 2005 ICANN approved the .CAT domain. The .cat TLD
> (Top Level
> Domain) is established to serve the needs of the Catalan Linguistic and
> Cultural Community on the Internet.
>
> So, it would be great to have the catalan flag each time we receive an email
> with the .CAT domain (and I've attached the file with the flag).

Reading the website, the .cat domain is a generic domain as opposed to
a country-wide domain.  Therefore, there is no geographical limitation
as to where a .cat domain can be registered.  We show flags based on
the location of the originating domain.  Much like .com, .org, .net,
etc, there is no way to tie .cat into a specific country without some
kind of IP/domain name -> country lookup database.

Additionally, Catalan is not a specific country.  If we would add a
flag for Catalan, then we would need to add flags for each U.S. state;
flags for each of the countries in the UK, etc.  Our country/flag
lookup was simply not designed to be that specific.

michael