[i18n] Question about using Horde for Japanese webmail

Doug Lerner doug at lerner.net
Wed Dec 27 00:47:06 PST 2006

I recently signed up with a hosting provider and they offer Horde as
their webmail solution.

I am having difficulty getting Japanese email to work completely
though and would like some advice.

What I have discovered so far helps me to 75% success:

1. If I set my browser to UTF-8.

and

2. When composing my mail , if I set the message character set to
ISO-1022-JP

then the received mail is fine in Japanese in all the POP3 clients
I've tested.

Also, if the recipient replies, the received email appears fine in
Horde's webmail Inbox. And subsequently downloading the email with my
POP3 client is ok too.

The part that is still failing is that when viewing the email I sent
in Horde's Sent folder, the title/subject of the mail is corrupted.
The body of the mail is visible still in UTF-8, but I cannot read the
sent email's subject.

Can somebody suggest how I might fix this, or other best practices
for sending Japanese webmail in Horde?

Thanks,

Doug Lerner
Tokyo