[i18n] localization gone after migration

Yvan Vander Sanden yvan.vandersanden at sanctamaria-aarschot.be
Wed Apr 16 09:29:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 09:20 +0300, Emre Sezginer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running translation.php may help, if you have the .po files;
>
> horde/po/translation.php update -l be_BY
> horde/po/translation.php make -l be_BY
>
> Restart the web server afterwards;
>
> /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>
> http://www.horde.org/horde/docs/?f=TRANSLATIONS.html is a good resource
> (you probably did visit:)

Just posting this as a future reference. Seems there were several things
wrong. (Some have to do with installing a beta release, i guess, but not
all.)

1. On ubuntu, you'll have to install php5-cli before you can run php
scripts from the command line. the php5 packages only installs the
module for the apache webserver.

2. Although gettext seems to be installed, it will get installed 'even
more' when you actually ask apt-get to install it. I don't understand
that, but it did help.

3. (You might have to solve this first if it happens.) After installing
locales, i was also getting the following message at a frequent basis:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "nl_NL"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Other interpreters gave me simular errors. I could solve this with
editing /etc/environment and adding:

LANGUAGE="en_US:en:nl_NL:nl:be_BY:be"
LANG="nl_NL.UTF-8"

Afterwards, you'll have to log in again or 'source /etc/environment'

I hope this can be of use to someone.

Regards,

yvan