[i18n] po-files location

Jānis je at ktf.rtu.lv
Thu Sep 1 05:52:28 UTC 2011

Citējot "E.S. Rosenberg" <esr+hordei18n at g.jct.ac.il>:

> 2011/8/31 Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>> Please don't top-post.
>>
>> Zitat von "E.S. Rosenberg" <esr+hordei18n at g.jct.ac.il>:

>>> The .po files in the locale folder only contain the translated stings
>>> (at least when I open them with poedit), where can I find .po files
>>> that contain both?
>>> Or should I use the horde-translate tool and then post the files back
>>> to the list?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean. Did you read the documentation? Did you
>> familiarize yourself with Gettext?
>>
>> Jan.
>>
>> --
>> Do you need professional PHP or Horde consulting?
>> http://horde.org/consulting/
>>

> Sorry about the top posting...
>
> When I open the .po files that are located in the locale directory
> they contain only the translated strings, so translating untranslated
> strings is not (easily) possible.

no, it is - just use the right tools - poedit, for example, which
comes at least in two flavours- Linux and win.

> I am not familiar with how gettext does its work, but when I
> downloaded the .po files of the squid project to help translate they
> contained all the strings in the project regardless of whether they
> were already translated.
> I guess this way (that the po file only contains translated strings)
> is more compact, but I don't know how to pull all the untranslated
> strings into the file.

just read carefully the notes on horde translation and use the right
tools. You even have nothing to do with gettext rather than have the
lates version installed; everything other is done via horde-translate
script.
Poedit, for example, offers even automated translation from
translation memory which eases the process very much.

Janis