[i18n] po-files location

Jānis je at ktf.rtu.lv
Thu Sep 1 06:44:08 UTC 2011

Citējot "E.S. Rosenberg" <esr at g.jct.ac.il>:

>>> When I open the .po files that are located in the locale directory
>>> they contain only the translated strings, so translating untranslated
>>> strings is not (easily) possible.
>>
>> no, it is - just use the right tools - poedit, for example, which comes at
>> least in two flavours- Linux and win.
> I am using poedit.

then i do not see the problem. You just have to prepare initial .po
files  for you language as described in paper on translation.

 From my experience - to make the work easier  I am making a copy of
directory tree containing locales in interest by running such command
(after the initialization of locale for all modules present, if
applicable):

#!/bin/sh
find . -type d -name 'lv' -print |xargs -I xx cp -R xx --parents -t
./horde_git_lv

(lv - my locale)
after it i advice to sweep up existing .mo files in the copy of
locale-tree by running

find . -type f -name *.mo -exec rm -rf {} \;

on it.

In such way I am getting "vanilla" copy of my locale to work with.
After translation you can copy whole tree over horde installation,
compile .mo files and it is also a lot easier to submit such tree in
archive to developers for inclusion.

Janis