[i18n] Application preferences page not fully translated

Maciej Uhlig maciej.uhlig at us.edu.pl
Fri Dec 16 09:12:28 UTC 2011

Because of Jan's request, this is a continuation of the recent
discussion from ticket http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/10861

Short summary: some texts ("Show Advanced Preferences", "Hide Advanced
Preferences",
"Edit Preferences for") are not translated on application preferences
page (produced by /pear/php/Horde/Core/Prefs/Ui.php with
/templates/prefs/app.html template). These texts come from 'horde'
module and are not translated while template is fetched because the
fetching occurs in application module domain (e.g. 'imp').

The above texts are correctly translated on Horde Global Preferences
page - just because then things happen in 'horde' domain.

All this can be seen simply using PHP textdomain() function.

After the template is fetched, it is parsed. Especially gettext tags are
parsed.  'echo' commands are produced and this code is eval()'ed (by PHP
gettext) to the output buffer. Obviously, all this happens in
application domain. I see no way to make this translation in 'horde'
domain at the moment.

When I asked: "How is it possible?" Jan replied "Through magic ... ask
on the mailing list".

I still assume it's a bug. But... I'm asking. Any comments?

Best regards,

MU