[i18n] /usr/bin/horde-translation problems

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Sun Nov 25 20:20:42 UTC 2018

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> After that, the above command will work, but pretty much everything else
> doesn't. It seems to be looking for a .horde.yml file in the Horde base
> directory that isn't there. I'm running around in circles, is there
> anybody that can spot the error I'm making?

According to Jan Schneider's reply to the "horde" mailing list on
2018-07-05 (topic was "horde-translation does not work anymore on code
downloaded via pear"), the .horde.yml file is available in Git only, so
the command does not work on installs done via pear. He suspected this
behavior to be introduced by the split of the repositories.

Back then, Jan suggested to create a ticket for this, which I did:
<https://bugs.horde.org/ticket/14830>. But Michael Rubinsky does not
consider this to be a bug. He thinks that the translation command needs
to work on Git checkouts only, and the previous ability to work on pear
installs is a bonus now gone.

The only useful advice that I can give about this topic is that the
version of "horde-translation" that is part of version 5.2.17 still
works and does not require a .horde.yml file. So installing the old
version of the "horde" package and copying the included
"horde-translation" file to another location works as of now, but I
wouldn't bet on that for the time coming.

Jens