[imapproxy] Re: [imp] serious mysql or imap problems on a imp server

Didi Rieder adrieder@sbox.tugraz.at
Thu Oct 24 15:46:06 2002

--On Thursday, October 24, 2002 09:07:57 AM -0500 Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Didi Rieder <adrieder@sbox.tugraz.at>:
>
>> Our imap server is the cyrus-imapd 2.0.16, and the only available
>> authentication type is plaintext.
>
> The question remains as to what the c-client in your php is trying for
> authentication.  Hopefully, you server only advertises plaintext, and
> hence your php hopefully only tries plaintext.  But the only way to know
> for sure is to check the logs and/or sniff the wire.

Our c-client is the one from imap-2002.RC6

in IMP server.php I have entered the following

'protocol' => 'imap/notls',

On the first login of a user I get the following entry in the imapd logs:

Oct 24 16:35:53 sbox imapd[10516]: [ID 237943 local6.notice] login:
xxx.tu-graz.ac.at[129.27.xxx.xxx] adrieder plaintext

That means that I'm authenticatin with the plaintext type.

>> Does it matter on which machine the proxy runs (imapserver
>> or webmail)?
>
> AFAIK it should work in either place.  There are some small optimizations
> [...]

I have the proxy running on the webmail system and access it only over the
loopback device, it has also a lower load, so I think thats ok.

Didi

--
Didi Rieder