[imapproxy] Re: [imp] serious mysql or imap problems on a imp server

Thu Oct 24 17:23:33 2002

Quoting Didi Rieder <adrieder@sbox.tugraz.at>:

> Our c-client is the one from imap-2002.RC6
> in IMP server.php I have entered the following
> 'protocol' => 'imap/notls',
>
> On the first login of a user I get the following entry in the imapd logs:
>
> Oct 24 16:35:53 sbox imapd[10516]: [ID 237943 local6.notice] login:
> xxx.tu-graz.ac.at[129.27.xxx.xxx] adrieder plaintext
>
> That means that I'm authenticatin with the plaintext type.
>
> I have the proxy running on the webmail system and access it only over the
> loopback device, it has also a lower load, so I think thats ok.
>
> Didi

That all sounds great to me.  I can't see any problems with what you
describe.

But, like Jan or Jon (not sure which one it was), I run everything on
one machine.  So no real experience with its performance across machines.

There is a real lack of performance data for imapproxy at this time (like
none).  There is really no evidence that it improves performance in any
real way.  There is evidence that it can drastically cut down on the number
of log file entries on your machine though :)

Maybe we ought to get everyone using it to submit some standard data
(machine info, server setup, performance guestimate) and create a file
in CVS tracking this kind of info...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics