[imapproxy] Re: [imp] serious mysql or imap problems on a imp server

Didi Rieder adrieder@sbox.tugraz.at
Fri Oct 25 13:07:22 2002

--On Thursday, October 24, 2002 01:29:05 PM -0500 Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Didi Rieder <adrieder@sbox.tugraz.at>:
>
>> If other info is required please let me know.
>
> Well, for both the file I'm writing, and for debugging your problem, what
> are your settings in the imapproxy configuration file, and have you tried
> tweaking them?  (Things like keepalive, client/server timeout, max_reuse,
> etc).

Here my settings:

remote_address  sbox.tugraz.at
local_address   127.0.0.1
remote_port     143
local_port      1430
accept          localhost
debug           off
log_facility    LOG_LOCAL6
logging         on
keepalive       60
client_timeout  60
server_timeout  1800
stats_frequency 60
max_reuse       30

However, I have done some "simple" performance tests without IMP just with
basic IMAP connections and commands using the following expect script:

#!/usr/local/bin/expect -f
set timeout 30

# no proxy
#spawn telnet sbox.tugraz.at 143

# proxy
spawn telnet localhost 1430

# no proxy
#        "* OK sbox.tugraz.at Cyrus IMAP4 v2.0.16 server ready" {

# proxy
#        "* OK IMAP4rev1 ImapProxy v1.0-1 Welcome to my dominion." {

expect {
        "* OK IMAP4rev1 ImapProxy v1.0-1 Welcome to my dominion." {
            send "0 login user pass\r";
            exp_continue
            }
        "0 OK" {
            send "1 LIST * *\r";
            exp_continue
            }
        "1 OK" {
            send "2 SELECT INBOX\r";
            exp_continue
            }
        "Completed" {
            send "3 logout\r";
            exp_continue
            }
        "3 OK"
            {
            exit 0;
            }
}
exit 0;

I called the script in a loop to execute it 30 times and timed the duration.

Here the results:

direct:
	real    0m28.907s
	user    0m0.890s
	sys     0m1.220s

Proxy:
	real    0m20.911s
	user    0m0.650s
	sys     0m1.330s

This results show, that there is a significant performance gain when I use the
proxy. So I guess the problem must be related to IMP/c-client or wath erver,
since basic IMAP works great!

Any ideas?

	Didi

p.s: sorry for suspecting the proxy :-)