[imapproxy] (no subject)

Johny horde at agotnes.com
Sat May 24 05:10:29 PDT 2003

I added some timings to the imapproxy source as downloaded from CVS today, and
found the following;

Login to imapd takes ~64000 nanosecs (0.06 secs)
Re-using a connection takes ~1050 nanosecs (0.001 secs)

Pretty big relative improvement, however, the elapsed time taken is pretty minor
to start with.

As for total elapsed time (which is what I really care about!), I measured this
by using microtime() calls in mailbox.php and logging to the horde log. With an
identical mailbox got the following numbers toggling between two pages with 20
and 2 messages respectively;

without imapproxy; 1.68 and 1.53 seconds consistently (varies by a few ms)
With imapproxy   ; 2.6 and 1.8 seconds consistently

Which indicates a major increase in time caused by the proxy relaying the
message headers, this outweighs by a long margin the overhead of starting a new
imapd for every request and to my mind negates the value of the imapproxy in
it's current form. I didn't do any significant profiling on imapproxy, but
keeping an eye on 'top' didn't show a significant amount of CPU time used by the
proxy.

Timings done with RH7.3 on a PII 266 with 224MB Memory.

Cheers,

Johny