[imapproxy] Problems with CA and force_tls

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 6 11:17:48 PST 2006

Quoting Ryan Novosielski <novosirj+imapproxy at umdnj.edu>:

> force_tls yes

This means it can't run without TLS/SSL, so it has to abort if anything
fails with the TLS/SSL (as it did in your case).

> tls_ca_file /usr/share/ssl/certs/server-imapd.pem
> tls_ca_path /usr/share/ssl/certs/
> tls_cert_file /usr/share/ssl/certs/server_imapd.pem
> tls_key_file /usr/share/ssl/certs/server_imapd.pem

Your tls_ca_file has a hyphen in the name, where as the tls_cert_file
and tls_key_file have an underscore.  Is that on purpose, or a typo,
or what?

Normally you would point your tls_ca_file at an actual CA file,
not your certificate file.  E.g. at /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
or similar.

> Mar  3 14:47:22 sopris in.imapproxyd[13380]: main(): Failed to load CA
> data.  Exiting.

I can't load the CA file you specified.  Perhaps a typo as I pose above?

> I have tried splitting the PEM file out into different files to see if
> that helps (note, this is a self-signed cert) and this didn't help at
> all. Is there any way to get more information out of the thing?

Don't know.  But I wouldn't worry about your certificate as much as I
would about your CA, which shouldn't be the same thing...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!