[imp] The PIMP

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:57:57 -0400

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 10:43:14AM -0700, Brian Dragoo (bdragoo@thomasaquinas.edu) wrote:

> This is an excellent point; quite worth reiterating whenever this
> discussion comes up.  I'm all for being aware of simplicity and
> compatiblity (even with lynx) when designing websites, but that cannot be
> a simple dogmatic mantra.  There is no point in having web-based e-mail
> accessible to a text-only browser for exactly the reason that Mr. Kalika
> pointed out above, namely that mutt, pine, elm, and (hell) even mail are
> likely to be available to anyone that might be browsing text-only.

Well, Outlook and Netscape Mail are likely to be available to anyone
that might be browsing graphically. :-) I think the only safe
assumption along those lines are that people use webmail because they
prefer it to other mailers. Having said that, though, I don't think it
offers anything over Pine or Elm or mutt in a text-based environment.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services