[imp] Virtual Domains

Will Prater datafirm@mm3k.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:21:28 -0700

>Quoting Will Prater <datafirm@mm3k.com>:
>
>>  I have users who mail accounts go to different domains other than my
>>  primary domain where I have set up 'http://webmail.domain.com'
>>  When an individual whose mail address is a virtual domain, ie:
>>  dave@ohterdomain.com. I would like the 'reply to:' address to be that
>>  of a virtual domain when they compose mail from imp.
>>  I was just looking for solutions.
>
>I don't think you said what mail server you are running, but you might check
>out the cyrus-imapd-sql package,
>http://freshmeat.net/projects/cyrus-imapd-sql/ , which includes:

I am running Cyrus imapd 1.5.19 on openBSD 2.7 with postfix as mailer.

>  - A Perl daemon that checks against against an SQL table so you can
>have "virtual" accounts. A basic user administration script is provided.
>
>  - Cyrus is patched to allow colons in mailbox names; this permits a
>user::domain:name syntax for user accounts, so each domain can have its
>own "joe" user.
>
>The cyrus-imapd-sql package is working well for me, but I am not using the
>user::domain:name usernames because I don't currently need virtual
>user support.

This is exactly what I wanted. I am looking for a way that I can add
mail accounts with out adding real users on my unix box, then give
them the ability to log on to imp and check their mail. I am not sure
if the above solution will work with oBSD, but I guess I will give it
a try on my dev. box running oBSD 2.7 -current which will have the
latest IMP and horde dev. versions.

However, in the mean time, I do have a "(a slightly munged version
of) $SERVER_NAME in the
from_server variable"

Thanks for the info!

Best Regards