[imp] Virtual Domains

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:08:20 -0400 (EDT)

Quoting Paul Hansen <phansen@newsmile.com>:

> Perhaps after 2.3 is released I'll look into dealing with this in IMP. A few
> people have asked about this type of setup; would the user::domain:name
> formatting a good format to standardize on for this within IMP, or does it
> seem a bit too kludgy? The method suggested in the FAQ requires that the
> "username" be unique on the IMAP server, so you can't have joe@host.com and
> joe@host.org supported through the same IMAP server when accessing it through
> IMP.

A couple of points:

1. Sure you can support those users. You just need an IMAP server that supports
user@example.tld style usernames (ie, full email address as the username). I
know that someone had this working with Cyrus, and it makes the support
completely transparent as far as IMP goes.

2. We won't standardize on anything in IMP that munges usernames, because it
would be breaking spec. IMAP servers may accept pretty much anything they want
to as a username (like user@host.tld), and if we were to always munge usernames
with colons, we'd probably break some server out there. And yeah, it is kludgy,
especially compared to user@host.tld.

3. After 2.3 is released isn't the time to work on changes for 2.3 if you want
them to become official. I'd _really_ like to see us have a quicker release
cycle (mostly my bad), and to have major releases be pretty much feature-frozen
when they hit point-oh status.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Many states consider gambling so immoral that they not only prohibit private