[imp] pine locks

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:12:39 -0400

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 01:01:23PM -0300, Martin A. Marques (martin@math.unl.edu.ar) wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 06:55:41PM -0300, Martin A. Marques (martin@math.unl.edu.ar) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I would like to know how to make locks for pine when the person is using
> > > IMP web-mail?
> >
> > Well, you've no idea if Pine and IMP are running on the same machine,
> > so I'm not sure how you'd get them to communicate with each other. I
> > suppose you could modify Pine and your IMAP server to lock when
> > necessary, but that's not an IMP issue at all.
>
> Yes, they are on the same machine. But I guess you guys here know alot about IMAP! ;-)

Maybe in your installation they are, but there's no reason for them to
have to be that way. IMP does not have to run on the machine on which
the mail is stored, so you won't see any modifications to IMP which
require otherwise.

> Now we are going to move to Apache, and IMO is specific to Roxen, so
> we need another web-mail client, and there is where IMP comes in!
> ;-)

I suggest you write a local modification to use at your site to break
your IMAP server in the manner you wish it to be broken. You might
wish to read over the explanation as to why it won't work that I gave
in my previous message before you start, though.

This still has nothing to do with IMP, which is only an IMAP
client. Of course, hundreds of sites all over the world use IMAP
without the locking you describe with no negative results.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services