[imp] HORDE/IMP + LDAP?

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:19:58 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Ray Jackson <Ray.Jackson@cern.ch> wrote:

> In fact we are trying to make LDAP the master source of data for all
> our messenging services.  So my question is... Is it possible to store
> all data required by IMP/HORDE on an LDAP server?  I don't really want
> to use a local database i.e. MySQL as all of our user profiles etc.
> are already on LDAP.

IMP 2.3 (the development version) has made quite a few strides toward this
goal, but the short answer is, I don't think it's all there yet.

IMP 2.2 (the production version) basically uses a database to store three
things:  (a) PHPLIB session data, (b) a primitive address book, and (c)
user preferences.

In IMP 2.3:

(a)  ...we've switched away from PHPLIB to use the built-in session
support provided by PHP 4.  I don't honestly know if LDAP is supported for
this, but you can use shared memory, which would eliminate the need for a
database for this item.

(b)  ...the contacts (address book) functionality is being moved to
another Horde module:  Turba, a new, more advanced contact manager.  I
know that LDAP will be supported for that, so that eliminates database for
that also.

(c)  ...there is a new user preference system that Jon's been working on,
and it supports LDAP storage.

Have I missed anything?  :-)

> PS. I compiled PHP with imap and ldap support and created a phplibdata
> object class on our LDAP server with the attributes 'cn' and 'str' and
> followed all the instructions in the README's... but i'm still getting
> an error "Session_ldap failed: Session: freeze() failed.".
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I take it you're using IMP 2.2 (Horde 1.2) for this test, then?  We don't
support LDAP storage for PHPLIB session data... at least, I've never heard
of anyone who's tried, there aren't any hooks for the Horde session class
for LDAP, etc.

I think with your focus on LDAP, you'd be best off looking at 2.3.  The
push is on to freeze the feature list and get an initial (probably
rough) release out soon.  Details on the <dev@lists.horde.org> list.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>