[imp] user name change question

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:10:58 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, John McCoy, Jr <jmccoy@mills.edu> wrote:

> By allowing users to change their full name and email address it makes
> it very easy to fake where an email is coming from, at least
> internally.

Note the X-Originating-IP: header which will have the IP address of the
browser from which the message came.  Also, if you're using syslog logging
you can marry up who logged in (IMAP user/password) with what they sent.

> Are there any plans to change this so I can let a user specify their
> hotmail account or something as the reply address but not allow them
> to mask them selves as well.

I think Reply-To is supported in 2.3, which would do what you want.

> Also can I pre-populate the mysql database with their full names,
> sense I have to lock out their ability to do so?

Sure.  I don't know if IMP will use a full name if the ability to change
the full name (specify it as a preference) is turned off, however; you'd
have to test that.

> Any plans for a global address book?

Do you mean global, shared among all your users?  This could take many
forms.  Do you want all users to be able to add/edit/delete to a shared
address book?  (Shudder.)  If you only want all users to be able to choose
entries in a shared address book, I would use LDAP for that.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>