install problems with gdbm (or just general install problems)

Andrew Daviel andrew@andrew.triumf.ca
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:00:32 -0800 (PST)

I have a currently running system something like this:
RedHat 5.2
imp-2.0.10-1
horde-1.0.10-1
imap-?
php-3.0.16
apache-1.3.3-1
sslwrap-2.02
Test cert

I was told (shortly after I installed it a while back when it was
described as "stable version") that there were some security problems, and
I have recently bought a real SSL cert, so I am trying to upgrade.

I am trying to build the following:
RedHat 5.2
imp-2.2.3
horde-1.2.3
php-4.0.3pl1
imap-4.7
apache_1.3.12
openldap-1.2.11
mod_ssl-2.6.6-1.3.12
openssl-0.9.5a
Thawte cert

I'm not really familiar with SQL, and hadn't used it with the old version
of IMP, so thought I could use gdbm which appears to be supported

I built PHP something like:
 ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.12 --enable-track-vars \
--with-ldap=../openldap-1.2.11   --with-imap=../imap-4.7  -with-gdbm

After hacking on EXTRA_LIBS in apache/src/Makefile a bit, I
got phpinfo to work, and horde/test.php.
"testing PHPLIB" with test.php?mode=phplib-horde
gave me
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: hordect in
/usr/local/apache/php/session.inc on line 388

after uncommenting some lines in /usr/local/apache/php/local.inc
 I then got
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: dbmopen() in
/usr/local/apache/php/ct_dbm.inc on line 27
although apache is linked against gdbm
# ldd ../bin/httpsd
      libgdbm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2 (0x40004000)
etc.

and phpinfo says the configuration includes dba
V1 ($Id: dba.c,v 1.21 2000/07/13 18:44:57 eschmid Exp $) gdbm

Have I missed something obvious ?
Does gdbm work properly anyway - would I be better trying shm ?
Do I even need a database to get IMP to work ?

(URLs of test.php etc. available if interested)

Andrew Daviel
TRIUMF