[imp] install problems with gdbm (or just general install problems)

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:48:42 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Andrew Daviel <andrew@andrew.triumf.ca> wrote:

> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: dbmopen() in
> /usr/local/apache/php/ct_dbm.inc on line 27
> although apache is linked against gdbm
> # ldd ../bin/httpsd
>       libgdbm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2 (0x40004000)
>
> Have I missed something obvious ?
> Does gdbm work properly anyway - would I be better trying shm ?

If you persevere and get DBM to work, I'd love to hear how... however, no
one else (that I know of) is using DBM with Horde/IMP; the only thing I've
ever seen posted are problems.  I think Chuck alluded a while back to DBM
not being reliable or some such.

I think if you're looking to avoid using SQL, you should indeed try shared
memory.  However:

> Do I even need a database to get IMP to work ?

The two things you'll lack is (1) user preferences (full name, email
address, signature block, language), and (2) user contacts (address book).

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>