[imp] imp benchmarking

Jeff Greenfield jgreen@calvin.edu
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:53:18 -0500

>Hi, imp listers,
>
>Has anyone written any tools to benchmark IMP to try to size a
production
>server for it?  A program using horde and phplib and php and apache
and mysql
>to try to simulate what a user does when he uses webmail?  We would
like
>to get a better idea of what it will do to a server, as we hope to
release
>it to a campus community of around 20K users.  We do not envision
running
>it on the same box as our mail server.
>
>Alternatively, can anyone share what hardware platform(s) they have
needed
>to support x number of thousands of users?

For 4000 students (aprox. a max of 400 simultaneous accesses), we have
a Solaris Ultra 2 with 1 GB of Ram running UW-Imap, with mail local to
that machine.  For the IMP server, we have a Intel PIII 550 with 512MB
Ram running the full IMP package (with mysql server, ldap server, php4,
imp 2.2.x codebase).  At peak times, it does get a bit slow, but the
slow component seems to be the IMAP server, not the IMP server (I/O
access needs faster disk).

Jeff Greenfield <jgreen@calvin.edu>
Calvin College Information Technologies
Systems Engineer / Webmaster / Postmaster