webedge product

nan@frosting.cis.brown.edu nan@frosting.cis.brown.edu
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:14:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi, listers,

I hope this is not an inappropriate question on this list.

A colleague who knew I was working on IMP suggested that I look
the commercial product called WebEdge from www.software.com to as
an alternative product for providing web-based mail.

So I did.  It has its own web server built into it, along with a bunch
of XML templates and its own binaries to support POP and IMAP mail.
This is advantagious because it uses much less memory than Apache does,
particularly when Apache is extended with modules like PHP and modSSL.

I grabbed a demo copy, and it was a snap to install.  Runs very fast.
Does POP and IMAP.  Supports our slightly-non-standard loginids.  Supports
SSL.  Easy to configure.  Currently available on Solaris and (sound of
someone spitting on the ground) NT environments.  Does not chew up memory.
Is multi-threaded.

It does cost some $$.

Has anyone on this list, particularly those running Solaris systems, looked
at this product?  I get the impression that a lot of IMP users might
be using Linux, so this product would not currently be relevant to them, but
I'd be interested in any impressions of WebEdge any listers may have.

Thanks,

Nan D'Antuono