[imp] Imp with multiple faces...

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:35:17 -0500

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 08:25:33AM -0700, Dan Ellis wrote:

> Our director brought up a request to me.  He would like to be able
> to give different faces for certain important customers.  We are a
> large broadband ISP and are hosts for many businesses and schools.
> We would like to give Compnay X theuir own customized entrance into
> IMP and have it handle everything personalized to this company.  In
> all, we would like to have anywhere from 3 to 15 different
> entrances...  So, heres the question...

You can do this fiarly easily with the IMP 2.3 code.  I was in a
similar position this summer, and I added a couple of hooks to make
this sort of setup a lot easier to build.

> What's the optimal solution?  I've thought about just different
> login screens, but when they logout, it will direct them back to the
> main login.

In out setup, we had a separate login screen (on a different server,
actually).  We'll call it http://login.example.com/.  The form on that
page would post its data to IMP's remote_login.php on the webmail
machine (http://webmail.example.com/).  Setting these values in
conf.php assured us that the user always ended up at the right screen
on logouts or login failures.

$conf['user']['alternate_login'] = 'http://login.example.com/';
$conf['user']['redirect_on_logout'] = 'http://login.example.com/';

> What about having multiple installations of IMP running under either
> different paths or different virtual hosts?

This would work, too, and if you want to customize things like text
and colors, this is the only way to go at this point.

> Is there a way to share an installation using different
> configurations for different virtual hosts?

Not to the extent that you'd like to, no.  This may change in the
future, though.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology