semicolon and comma delim issue

Mike Coughlan mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:14:43 -0500

Has someone on this list implemented a personal "patch" for the dreaded
semicolon email separator issue?  If so, can you please pass it on.

Also, if the semicolon is used to separates groups, can someone tell me why
the mangled mail is bounced AND sent to nobody@localhost?  I assume that's
an IMAP issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Finally, I understand this IMP behavior is by design and to spec, but it's
killing us here as well.  I agree with the arguments laid out by Rich, but
on the other hand, as Leif pointed out, one javascript confirm window, "are
you sure you want to use semicolons?" would provide a great service to
people who don't read RFC documents, but use MS Outlook.

TIA,

Mike Coughlan

wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:36:01 -0400 (EDT)
> > > From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
> > > To: imp@lists.horde.org
> > > Subject: Re: [imp] Semicolons in To: list

> > > I'd have to agree - semicolons are clearly, by spec, not valid
seperators.

> > Both valid points, but nevertheless, the complaints will continue, and
> > when the CEO sends mail to several VP's and only one gets it, I get
> > it.
>
> I don't see how that's relevant; RFC 822 clearly specifies that the
> comma is used for separating addresses and the semicolon is used for
> delimiting groups. If you want *your* mail program to explicitly break
> on valid RFC 822 addresses, feel free to modify it, but I can't
> imagine expecting it to be broken for everyone because your CEO
> complains.
>
>   -Rich

In my second mail, which you only half quoted, I suggested warning the
sender that the semicolons were invalid separators, not necessarily
breaking the RFC 822.  Even the lowly Pine, which I am currently using,
does that.

Until NeXTime,
Leif E. Olson
Programmer Tech