[imp] user "nobody"

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:17:28 -0500

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 09:11:28AM -0700, Beau Sapach (beau@intellinetinc.com) wrote:

> IMP is running on it's own server while IMAP and SMTP are running
> together on another server.  I use ssmtp to relay the outgoing mail
> from the IMP server to the SMTP server.  Whenever I send an email the
> sender name shows up as "nobody" and the return address is always
> "nobody@imp.server.com" where imp.server.com is the full host and
> domain name of the IMP server.

IMP's not able to set the sender with the -f option. ssmtp should take
that option fine -- we use it here, and aren't encountering it.

ssmtp *does* have a configuration variable thus:

# Set this to never rewrite the "From:" line (unless not given) and to
# use that address in the "from line" of the envelope.
FromLineOverride=YES

which, if set to YES, would cause the problem you're
experiencing. Check that, and if that doesn't work, try explicitly
calling ssmtp on the commandline with the -f option, see if it
complains, and let us know what happens. Also, if the conf file isn't
the problem, please let us know what you mean by the "sender name" --
what header, exactly, is wrong? The envelope sender, Sender:, From:?

   -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services