[imp] Commas vs. Semi-Colons

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:46:30 -0500

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 10:54:17AM -0800, hhoffman@r-u-i.com (hhoffman@r-u-i.com) wrote:
> Hey All,
>
>   I believe I saw this on the list somewhere but has anyone come
> across the problem of not being able to use groups in the personal
> contacts because they are seperated by semi-colons then when
> inserting it into the TO: semi-colons don't work as seperaters.

No, that's not quite it. People can't use groups in IMP 2.2.x in the
personal contacts list because that feature does not exist; it has
nothing to do with what separator to use. The contacts list accepts
semicolos because they're not address separators but are meaningful in
an RFC822 address.

In the To:, semicolons don't work as separators because they're not
separators. Commas are separators.

> Any one have any ideas?

Tell your users that commas separate email addresses? It's only been a
standard since 1982, after all.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services