[imp] Folder Navigator

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:51:14 -0600

Quoting Max Kalika <max@the-triumvirate.net>:

> Quoting "Keith A. Chayer" <kchayer@bbcnet.edu>:
>
> > That's strange--I use a CNAME on our mail server (that IMP uses), and
> don't
> > have any trouble.  I don't use the navigator much, but I've never had it
> > crash the IMAP server.
>
> What php version? Which imap server? It doesn't crash the imap server on my
>
> end, but php corrupts some variables (either password or login -- I still
> don't
> know) thus causing bogus connection attempts to cyrus.

I just updated PHP CVS about 2 days ago--it reports 4.05-dev.  I use Cyrus IMAP
1.6.24.

You mentioned something that intrigues me--corrupted variables causing bogus
connection attempts.  I am getting what appears to be something similar.  Far as
I can tell, IMP 2.3 doesn't do it (I'm about the only one that uses it, though),
but when people use 2.2 (2.2.4-cvs, to be exact), I get all sorts of weird
failed login attempts in the logs.  People still get logged in without any
apparent errors on their end, but I get stuff in my logs like:

Dec 10 07:46:04 hawking imapd[26357]: badlogin: edison.bbcnet.edu[209.106.196.16
] plaintext {mail Userid not found

  and

Dec 10 11:51:42 hawking imapd[27486]: badlogin: edison.bbcnet.edu[209.106.196.16
] plaintext sa_unseen Userid not found

  and

Dec 10 12:34:26 hawking imapd[27728]: badlogin: edison.bbcnet.edu[209.106.196.16
] plaintext ^\Dy^H^Q invalid user

Is that similar to what you experience?  I haven't tried backing out PHP
versions 'cause IMP 2.3 is supposed to require 4.04-cvs (in case it's PHP's
fault).  I figured I had a setting wrong, or it would clear itself out over
time.  I have a hard time blaming IMP, as I haven't updated it to cause this to
happen--it started out of the blue.  PHP is a possible culprit I hadn't
considered.  I've just been ignoring it (though the logs I get in my mail annoy
me--I've long since realized it wasn't someone trying to break in to my server).

..Keith

--
"Agree with you the council does--your apprentice Skywalker shall become."
 -Yoda