[imp] Outgoing mail

Rick Stevens rstevens@publichost.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:52:07 -0800

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Rick Stevens <rstevens@publichost.com>:
>> Really?  Nifty!  That could help in some of my stuff (I'm hosting
>> about 1400 domains under IMP now) -- all done with custom LDAP, POP
>> and IMAP servers.  IMP's been modified too, for branding purposes.
>

> Any contributable changes? =)

Uhm, well, hmmm.  They're somewhat proprietary.  Essentially, the
POP and IMAP servers have had RFC 2307 changes made to them, so
they're not dependent on PAM or nsswitch stuff (you never know what
flavor of Unix you're going to be on).

There's massive weirdness going on in the sendmail rules files,
too.  Because the virtual users and domains do NOT map to UNIX
account holders, I also have a custom MDA which handles dispatching
to mailboxes, forward lists, mail lists, auto-responders.  UIDs and
GIDs are handled by a magical system I am not at liberty to discuss.

All of this permits us to have an essentially unlimited NUMBER of
user accounts, while the current implementation limits the system
to 65,000 SIMULTANEOUS users.  I'm working on that.

I can ask our legal eagles about releasing some of this stuff, but
don't get your hopes up.  They can be picky suckers.

>> BTW, oh great one...

> Don't "great one" me, mister... =) (seriously. it weirds me out.)

I know what you mean.  They call me "Chief Propeller Head" here, along
with other names--most of which are of a scatalogical nature. ;=>

- Rick Stevens, CTO, PublicHost, Inc.        rstevens@publichost.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                     http://www.publichost.com -
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -