[imp] marking messages as read, bugs and fixes

Earl Fogel fogel@duke.usask.ca
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:14:58 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>Quoting Earl Fogel <fogel@duke.usask.ca>:
>
>> In the first case, a new empty message continues to be marked as new,
>> even after you read it in imp.  It does get marked as read if you
>> view the Message Source.
>
>This is consistent behavior with pine and other clients. It's been discussed
>many times before - see the list archives.

Ok.

>> The second problem is that new messages become marked as read after sorting
>> a mailbox. I dont' entirely understand why this happens, but did find a
>> workaround.
>
>I'd like some explanation and reproducibility on this before I add two
>imap_search() calls to the two most commonly used pages.

Ok, here's a bit more detail.  I have a mailbox whose only contents are
three new messages on a UW-IMAP server (IMAP4rev1 v10.191).  When I use IMP
2.2.3 to do a reverse sort by date, all three messages are marked as read.

This does not happen in larger mailboxes, where IMP splits things up into
several pages.  I noticed that IMP does an imap_search for new messages when
you view a large mailbox, which is where I got the idea for my workaround.

However, I've now noticed that this problem does not occur on one of our
other, newer IMAP servers (IMAP4rev1 v12.256).  So maybe it's a bug in
that old imap server, not in IMP.

I'm heading out of town for the holidays, so I won't be able to look into it
any more until January.

Earl Fogel
Computing Services              phone: (306) 966-4861
University of Saskatchewan      email: earl.fogel@usask.ca