Please help with Poppassd

John Bennett bennettj@thebennetthome.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:26:33 -0600

Sorry if this is way off topic and for the length, but I have found this =
group very helpful and knowledgeable.

I am trying to configure poppassd to allow some clients the ability to =
change their passwords via imp. I have made all the necessary changes to =
imp so that the change password icon appears and executes when a user =
clicks on it. That was the easy part.

What I can't get to work is the poppassd portion. I went to rpmfind and =
downloaded poppassd. When I installed it, it actually reads poppassd-ceti. =
If this is not the right package, please tell me. I found another site for =
poppassd via the horde.org FAQ pages, but the instructions say I would =
need to compile the code.  I am using an e-smith server and the gcc and cc =
commands aren't available.  So, if I have the wrong RPM, would some kind =
soul(s) compile the proper poppassd file and send it to me?

When I install poppassd, I get a message on the screen that reads, "inetd: =
no process killed" I guess this means that it tried to stop the inetd =
process and failed. I edited the etc/services file and added - poppassd =
106/tcp. Then I edited inetd.conf and added the appropriate lines =
specified. Rebooted the server and tried to telnet to my on port 106, but =
my connection is always refused. Inside of imp, when I click to actually =
execute the change, I get Password Server: 111(connection refused)

This is where I am stuck. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate =
it.=20

TIA,

JB

If someone from e-smith reads this, is there a way to possibly get this =
included in 4.1 or later as an option? Or another suggestion is welcomed. =
I just need a way to let users change their passwords in a hosted =
environment.

Thanks,

JB