[imp] ampersand in folder names?

Joseph Brennan brennan@columbia.edu
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:55:07 -0500

--On Friday, January 12, 2001 11:16 PM -0500 Chuck Hagenbuch
<chuck@horde.org> wrote:

>> My only (small) point now is that when I try to rename or delete a
>> folder with an ampersand, there is no error message indicating
>> failure. Is the missing error message a problem with UW IMAP, php,
>> or IMP?
>
> I feel somewhat sheepish saying this, but I'm really not sure. I've
> been over  this code in 2.3 extensively and am convinced it works
> correctly; however I  don't have a 2.2 installation handy to do the
> same with.

UW imap2000 can select a folder with an ampersand.  & is a legal
character in a mailbox name in the RFC, so this is good.

b2 select mail/special&name
* 25 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 945714714] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 26] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)]
Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 1] first unseen message in /p/us/brennan/mail/special&name
b2 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed

So it's somewhere in PHP or IMP.  Probably a quoting error where
mailbox name should be taken as a literal?

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)