[imp] ampersand in folder names?

Joseph Brennan brennan@columbia.edu
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:56:35 -0500

--On Tuesday, January 16, 2001 10:55 AM -0500 Chuck Hagenbuch
<chuck@horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Joseph Brennan <brennan@columbia.edu>:
>
>> UW imap2000 can select a folder with an ampersand.  & is a legal
>> character in a mailbox name in the RFC, so this is good.
>
> Just because UW allows it doesn't mean that it's correct. IMAP folder
> names  should be encoded according to a modified UTF-7 encoding
> (sorry, don't have the  rfc number handy right now), and & is a
> special character in that encoding.

Oh yeah.  I was looking at imap4, RFC 1730, but Chuck is correct,
in the superseding RFC 2060 (imap 4.1) it singles out & as needing
to be encoded to the pair &- .

But imap2000 does not honor this.  For mailbox mail/special&name,
this fails

b2 select mail/special&-name
b2 NO SELECT failed: Can't open mailbox mail/special&-name: no such
mailbox

I'll pose this to comp.mail.imap where Mark Crispin is.

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)