[imp] Feature request

Richard poboxcanada@yahoo.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:36:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Rich Lafferty <rich@horde.org> wrote:
> "A pet-peeve of mine regarding the IMAP protocol",
> you mean.  What you
> describe seems like a surefire way to ensure that
> users fill up disks
> with deleted messages, since unlike the clients you
> listed, it's not
> their disk that they're filling.
>
>   -Rich

The clients I mentioned do not fill up their disk if
they are using IMAP.  They work just like IMP, except
that the clients I mentioned have abstracted the
"delete-and-expunge" step of the IMAP protocol and
made a trash folder out of it (delete = move to trash,
expunge = empty trash).  All of these messages exist
on the server only.

As developers, we should be focusing on a UI that
matches the end-user's schema of how mail should work,
and not how the underlying protocol works!  We have
the ability to abstract that.

As an aside, referring to an option that deletes all
messages in any given folder as a "power-user" option
is akin to referring to someone who disables the
safety on their gun a "power-user".  A power-user is
someone who has a keen understanding of a system, its
options and features, and is capable of squeezing
every ounce of functionality out of that system to
meet their goals.

Cheers,
Richard