[imp] Internet explorer attach download problem

Earl Fogel fogel@duke.usask.ca
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:18:26 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Ad wrote:

>    I have a error whith Internet explorer(5.5) and Imp. My imp is 2.2.3 and horde 1.2.3, apache 1.3.12, php 3.0.17 and a POP3 server.
>    When a message have an attach, I can't download the attachment by clicking in download button (the IE try to save a "imp html" file) , I need to right click and "save target as" to download right.
>    In netscape all work well.

There is a known bug in IE 5.5 Service Pack 1 which might cause this.
Here's a description from the WebCT mailing list:

    Microsoft has recently made public a bug in Service Pack 1 for
    Internet Explorer 5.5  which affects file downloads in all versions
    of WebCT from 2.1 to 3.1.3.  The problem the user confronts is that
    instead of the browser saving the selected file (for example an MS
    Word document), the browser will save the HTML source code of the
    page.

    To avoid this problem, we recommend that WebCT users either do not
    apply service pack 1 to their Internet Explorer 5.5 installation
    and wait for a subsequent IE 5.5 service pack release, or switch to
    Netscape for downloading files in WebCT.

Earl Fogel
Computing Services              phone: (306) 966-4861
University of Saskatchewan      email: earl.fogel@usask.ca