[imp] binding keys to HTML form buttons

Donnie Barnes djb@donniebarnes.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:35:19 -0500

> > Upon investigation, this seems impossible to do with normal HTML forms.  But
> > it seems entirely possible with the addition of some javascript.  That said,>
> > I'm in no way a JS programmer, so don't ask for a patch.  ;-) But my question
> > is whether this has been considered and if it is possible to add easily?
> > Ideally the feature would just be "missing" for non JS capable browsers.
>
> 1. keybinding support in javascript is pretty spotty. It doesn't work at all
> under unix.

Not surprising, I guess.  *sigh*

> 2. Having a page load just because you hit a key could be pretty disturbing
> behavior. And it wouldn't approach the response time that users expect from
> keyboard shortcuts. It sounds like your friend just shouldn't be using webmail.

Well, first, you could turn them off by default if you're worried about
support nightmares.  :-)  Second, response time from a keybinding would be
the same as the instant you click the button on the mouse and you wouldn't
have to wait for your brain to tell your hand to move over there to do it.

Now, if you can't do it due to limitations in browsers and/or the standards
around them, that's fine.  I just don't buy number 2 above.  :-)

--Donnie

--Donnie

--
  Donnie Barnes  http://www.donniebarnes.com  djb@donniebarnes.com  "Bah."
   Challenge Diversity.  Ignore People.  Live Life.  Use Linux.  879. V.