[imp] binding keys to HTML form buttons

jlewis@lewis.org jlewis@lewis.org
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:39:47 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> 1. keybinding support in javascript is pretty spotty. It doesn't work at all
> under unix.

There are some js event handlers for keypress/releases, but I'm not sure
how you would apply them to the form in general rather than to specific
elements.  Of course, while looking into this, Netscape crashed on me.
What a miserable PoS application.  I'd just started a new instance of it
after killing the one that had grown to over 100mb and eaten all my
memory.

> 2. Having a page load just because you hit a key could be pretty
> disturbing behavior. And it wouldn't approach the response time that
> users expect from keyboard shortcuts. It sounds like your friend just
> shouldn't be using webmail.

I hate using webmail...but a surprising number of our customers like it.
Maybe a more stable browser would help.  :)

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |