Multiple IMAP servers

Mike Richardson doctor@kira.mcc.ac.uk
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:30:51 +0000

This might have already been reported and if so please feel free to tell me
to shut up, if not then I'll dig deeper.

We're currently testing 5 IMAP servers with a variety of clients, including,
obviously, IMP. Previously with IMP 2.2 there weren't any bugs as such, just
idiosyncasies involving NAMESPACE. With the new IMP, 2.3.6 we're seeing
something quite odd.

I had the list of servers preconfigured with imapserver1:143,
imapserver1:145, imapserver1:147, imapserver2:143, imapserver3:143 (name and
port). Each server has a set of users ie name1,name2,name3... name200 for
testing purposes (the names are the same on each of the three servers).

Things started ok when I was testing against only one of the servers but
when two of us started testing against different servers we started to get
some strange behaviour. User, say, name200 started to fail to connect when
30s earlier it had worked. I checked the logs and where I'd tried to connect
to say, imapserver2:143 it was trying to connect to imapserver1:145 for
example. Thus I removed the entries in server.php for all but one server.
Unfortunately IMP still tried to connect to the servers which no longer were
configured in.

What I *think* is happening is that there is information being left in the
mysql database I use for storing the connection tracking info and this info
is being used to make erroneous assumptions when the same user tries to log
into a different server.

An English translation of the above is available on request.

Thanks

Mike
Copyright 2000 Mike Richardson, Rm G98, Manchester Computing
University of Manchester, M13 9PL. doctor@mcc.ac.uk, 0161 275-6009
"If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you!" - Chuck Norris
"If anything happens to my daughter I have a 45 and shovel" Clueless