[imp] imp 2.3.x vs TWIG

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 02:53:32 -0500

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 12:37:49AM -0700, rob@myinternetplace.net (rob@myinternetplace.net) wrote:

> > > In hotmail, one logs in to the hotmail service.  In the hotmail
> > > preferences, you set up other servers/passwords to go get email from.
> >
> > POP or IMAP?
>
> I believe that their only option is POP.

Ah! That's easy to do. With POP, you support multiple accounts by
letting the user enter a hostname, username, and password, storing all
of that, and downloading any new mail whenever they login or at set
intervals. Chuck's fetchmail option took care of that.

The problem is that you can't do that with IMAP, since it's an online
protocol. You *could* just use IMAP like POP, like fetchmail does, but
there's really no gain there -- might as well just use POP and save
the overhead.

>  I highly suggest the practice of using the competition's software
> for ideas.  Go set up a hotmail account.  Go use hushmail.  Use
> TWIG, phpGroupWare.  Look at what 'the other guys' are putting in
> for features.

Uh, well, yes, of course. I get the feeling you think I'm saying it's
a bad idea. I'm not.

> Being able to be all things to all people would be a noble goal.

No, that's called "poor management", because it's obviously
impossible. So, you have to make compromises somewhere; either you can
do it intentionally by design, or you can do it accidentally by
implementation.

Reachable goals are much better for getting software out the door.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services