[imp] Horde / IMP on RH7.0 ??

Ken Price kprice@agentware.net
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:01:34 -0500

Mike,

No problem for the response.  Here's some more detail to help you and the
group if needed.

--------------- SNIP -------------------
Now I *assume* from your response, the RH rpm's (yes I'm a rpm sort of
guy, but can do it the hard way too) you've listed below are *NOT* what
comes standard on RH7.0.  Else, there wouldn't have been much point in
you telling me about them.  Also, I assume that the RH rpm's mentioned
below "puts things in the proper place for RH7.0".
-------------- UN-SNIP ------------------

Yes, the RPMS I listed do *not* come with the stock RedHat 7.0 distribution
... it is usually recommended you update your packages with the latest
versions (PHP-4.0.4pl1 is the exception for use with IMP) for security and
"buggy" issues.
Note: The RPMS listed below are updates that come straight from RedHat, so
they're readily available.  While I did rebuild the PHP source RPM with
custom options, I don't see why the default packages from RedHat wouldn't
work.

For the most part, the RPMS below put everything where you need, then the
default Horde/IMP documentation takes over.  There are two exceptions,
though.  As I believe you noted in one of your earlier posts, RedHat 7.0
puts everything under /var/www instead of the familiar /home/httpd.  The
other problem is kinda Horde/IMP related.  Apache under 6.x and earlier ran
as user/group "nobody" - which is how some file permissions are set by
default when Horde/IMP is installed.  Apache in 7.0 runs under the
user/group "apache".  There are a few things that can (and must) be done
once the below RPMS are installed.

(1)  If you (like I) prefer the Apache directory structure to be located
under /home/httpd, then edit the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file replacing
all occurances of "/var/www" with "/home/httpd" ... I don't believe you
don't have to worry about creating the /home/httpd tree, the horde/IMP
packages creates it when installed - with the exception of the cgi-bin.  I
haven't tried moving Horde/IMP to the /var/www structure, so I'm no help
there.

(2)  Here you have a choice, either change both the user & group Apache runs
as (also in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf) to "nobody" - !!Make sure you change
the permissions on the directory and logs in /var/log/httpd to reflect this
change ... they're set to "apache" by default.  The same applies to various
files in /etc/httpd/conf/*

OR  (and personally I went this way)

Look at and in the following directories and change every "nobody"
permission to "apache".

/home/httpd/horde-phplib
/home/httpd/html/horde/config
/home/httpd/html/horde/imp/config

I don't recommend doing a global "chgrp -R apache /home/httpd/html/horde"
... this gives the Apache server group permissions to all files in this
tree, which *in theory* could somehow be exploited intentionally or
accidentally.

I hope this helps everyone having issues with RedHat 7.0 - I'm assuming
people have basic Linux systems administration knowledge so I'm sure I'm
missing a couple details, but I'm not sure I can be much more specific
without writing an actual HowTo ... which unfortunately I don't have time
for.

Ken Price
AgentWare, Inc.
www.agentware.net