[imp] imp causes high load ?

Lars Hecking lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:13:17 +0000

serene@home.martnet.com writes:
> Hello,
>
> I used "uptime" to see the workload. I know it is not a good
> indicator, but very high uptime (5-12) make me think some
> thing is going wrong--I have never seen such a high uptime on other
> systems.
> Everytime a lot of apache processes spawn,
> the uptime goes very high.  And I don't think we do anything else
> except webmail on this system.

 It's _not_ the uptime, but the processor load (the last three fields
 in uptime output) you're looking at.

> I have compiled every module as static, and I used mysql-3.22.25.
>
> Also, I used to try to reduce the  load by doing the persistent
> feature (KeepAlive) in apache, this help reduce the load.
> However, one days there was too many connections that make the server
> not able to accept anymore connection.  mysql complaint abt too many
> connection, and the system freezed for a while.  That's why I disable
> the KeepAlive :(
>
> any suggestion will be very thankful !!!!!!

 What about some facts? cpu/speed, real mem, swap. It may well be that
 your machine is underspec'd for the job. Is the machine doing anything
 else? Is the imap server you're connecting to on the same machine?

 Have you tried top or proctool to get detailed information about cpu/memory
 usage of apache processes?

 The number of minspare/maxspare/start servers and maxclients in apache.

 Do you get any errors in the apache error log?