[imp] imp causes high load ?

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:39:23 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, serene@home.martnet.com <serene@home.martnet.com> wrote:

> I used "uptime" to see the workload. I know it is not a good
> indicator, but very high uptime (5-12) make me think some thing is
> going wrong--I have never seen such a high uptime on other systems.

OK, you have a performance issue.  As Lars said, you have to look at a lot
of factors to figure this one out.  For starters:  what kind of box is
this, how much memory?

How many Apache processes are allowed (httpd.conf MaxSpareServers,
StartServers, MaxClients) and how many are actually running (ps ... | grep
httpd)?  Try turning down the maximum number of clients and see if
performance improves.

A big one:  Is the box swapping?  Run "vmstat 5" and watch it for several
lines.  Swapping can cause high load in a hurry.  Reducing the number of
Apaches will help that too.