[imp] Perdition

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar@developer.ch
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:29:38 +0100

Yes jon we use Perdition with LDAP to manange a mailstore over 6
servers.
It works great if all servers are in the same network (example when you
want to scale from more than one box in the same network)

But if you want to distribute the mailboxes over the net, then it gets a
bit slow.
Example, mailbox in zurich, Tokyo, London etc. (since it works as a
proxy and not a redirector)

Jon Parise wrote:

> I just stumbled across this, thanks to a message on the Postfix
> mailing list:
>
>     http://perdition.sourceforge.net/
>
> From the web page:
>
> "Perdition is allows users to connect to a content-free POP3 or IMAP4
> server that will redirect them to their real POP3 or IMAP4 server.
> This enables mail retrieval for a domain to be split across multiple
> backend servers on a per user basis. This can also be used to as a
> POP3 or IMAP4 proxy especially in firewall applications.  Perdition
> supports arbitrary library based map access to determine the server
> for a user. POSIX Regular Expression, GDBM, MySQL and PostgreSQL
> libraries ship with the distribution."
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> --
> Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
> http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/  :  Computer Science House Member

Atif Ghaffar