[imp] Howto!

Nick Silberstein nick@darktwin.net
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:42:28 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Quoting terry071298@netscape.net:
> I'm new using a linux boxz... I cannot follow the instruction given at
> the (horde.org)sites. Like what other says, Horde applications remain
> undocumented. Sir can you help me set this up to my linux machine.. Do
> you already had a more clearer documentation regarding this.
>
> Again, Thank you in Advance..

This list can't really supply support for general Linux issues, or
provide more than cursory help with packages that IMP/Horde depends
on (like PHP) so for those you're really on your own (your best bet
would be to get in contact with a local LUG - Linux User Group - and
ask more experienced members for assistance).

That said ...

As far as IMP/Horde are concerned, make sure that you get IMP 2.2.4 and
Horde 1.2.4.  A naming convention you should be aware of in the Open
Source software world is that even numbered (2.2.x) releases tend to be
"stable"/tested releases, and odd numbered (2.3.x) releases tend to be
"unstable"/un-tested releases.  This is true of the Linux Kernel, for
example, and it is true of IMP/Horde too.

If you are running RedHat Linux, you may find that the RPMs are much
more easy to install than the tarballs.  You'll just need to make sure
that you have the packages that IMP/Horde rely on.  For example, if
you're running RedHat Linux 7.0, ftp to horde.org:

ftp://ftp.horde.org/pub/horde/rpms/

You'll find RPMs for supporting packages (Apache, PHP, etc) in the i386
tree, and the packages for IMP/Horde in the noarch tree. You should
probably remove (using 'rpm -e <package-name>') any of these you have
installed already (you can check by using 'rpm -q <package-name>'), and
install the versions provided at the address above. Make sure that you
use the RPMs for your appropriate version of RedHat Linux.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but at this point, you may
be tackling too large a project on your own (if my assumption that by
saying you're new to Linux means that you're new to Unix-like systems
in general is true).  The problem isn't so much getting IMP/Horde
installed, it's that IMP has a lot of pre-requisites, and satisfying
these is tricky (your version of Linux probably has earlier or
incompatible versions of these pre-requisites already installed).

Best of luck,
Nick

--
Nick Silberstein <nick@darktwin.net>