[imp] muliple imap server connections

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 06:52:57 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Kelly Nicklin <knicklin@ops.org> wrote:

> on the non-working server, I get this:
> * PREAUTH server.name IMAP4rev1 2000.281 at Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:16:17
> -0600 (CST)

Hmmm.... from RFC 2060:

7.1.4.  PREAUTH Response

      The PREAUTH response is always untagged, and is one of three
      possible greetings at connection startup.  It indicates that the
      connection has already been authenticated by external means and
      thus no LOGIN command is needed.

So it looks like somehow imapd already thinks it knows who's calling.  I
have no idea what configuration difference would make it use external
authentication information... I've never done that.

When you connect and get PREAUTH, leave the connection open and do a long
ps on the server to see who owns the running process... maybe it's not
running as root?  (Or check the imap line in your /etc/inetd.conf file.)

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>