99% cpu (httpd) while opening 400K message in IMP

Ryan Zwahr rzwahr@bigfoot.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:43:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,
I have installed IMP on both a Redhat 7.0 server and a Redhat 6.2 server, and
this problem only seems to be prevalent on the 6.2 server.  I discovered this
while trying to open a mail that was 400K of text.  Just to see what would
happen, I forwarded this same mail to my box running redhat 7.0, and did not
have the problem.  The problem is, when I click to open the mail, it was timing
out initially, saying it was exceeding the maximum time a script could run in
horde.lib line 1195 or something like that.  I went into php3.ini and changed
that value from 30 to 180 seconds.  This stopped the timeout problem, but it
takes about a minute to open up this mail.  I opened up a telnet session to the
server and watched as I opened this mail.  What is happening is, as soon as I
click to open this mail, an httpd process (Apache) is spawned and uses 99.9% of
the processor for the entire 1 1/2 minutes while the mail is being opened.
>From the PC's perspective, it just sits with an hourglass like it's waiting.
This server is a really powerful box, with 4 processors, running raid and with
like 512 MB memory, so I think it's highly unlikely that this is THAT cpu
intensive.  Something is wrong.  I forwarded this same message to my server at
home running 7.0 with a measly p166mmx and 32 meg of ram, and it opens in 5
seconds.  Has anyone seen this?  This is very odd behavior.  I will try and
include some screen output on a separate post.  Are there any known bugs out
there for such behavior?  I am using the rh6 stuff from ftp.horde.org (the
rpms), php3, imp 2.2.4, mysql and ldap.  Let me know if you need specific
versions.  Of course I am using php4 on my 7.0 box, so we're not talking the
same exact versions on both boxes, but still, I don't think it should be like
this.  Imap server is on the same machine too, so everything's local.

Thanks,
Ryan Zwahr

rzwahr@bigfoot.com <>< Grace Alone
   Yahoo/AOL Messenger: rzwahr