[imp] 99% cpu (httpd) while opening 400K message in IMP

Hanser, Kevin kevin@merchantinternetgroup.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:07:38 -0500

Yes, you should run PHP4 on the 6.2 box... there may not be any RPM's but,
installing from source is easy, and it gives you more flexibility as well.
All our servers are currently running 6.2, and every one of them runs PHP4.
As someone mentioned earlier, there seems to be a function in php4 that
wraps the text up or something (dunno, I'm just parroting the other post).
Whereas in PHP3 this function doesn't exist, so it's very inefficient...

Don't be scared of installing the source, it's really not that hard.  And
once you get the hang of it, it's much nicer than RPMs because you have more
control of what's happening (In my opinion).  I usually look for source now,
so I can be sure I get the program compiles exactly how I need it, for my
particular system.  You can get newer source sometimes too, since it takes a
little while for the RPMS to be released....

For example, compiling php4 is a simple process:  (however, it requires
changes to your apache's httpd.conf as well, but that's all in
the docs.  basically, you have to tell it to load the php4 module instead of
the php3 one.)
./configure --(various options)
make
make install

there's really not much to it.  If you'd like more specifics, feel free to
email me, and I'll walk you through the steps that should make it happen.

Kevin
Merchant Internet Group, Inc.
System Administrator