[imp] Menu Layout in IMP 2.3.7

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:40:26 -0500

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 02:28:01PM -0500, Chris Delaney wrote:

>   My vote is for the menu bar to be on the left.  Since most major
> web sites are designed to have the menu bar on the left, the users
> are used to seeing it there.

We're not moving the menu bar wholesale.  It just might become an
option.

As a side note, there's a downside to putting navigation in a column
running down the side.  Because that space runs the length of the
page, that sort of layout results in a lot of dead, wasted space
between the point where the navigation items stop and the page ends.
Running the navigation across the page is much more efficient in terms
of space.

The sites that run navigation vertically along the left side are also
taking into account their content area and the rule of not making
blocks of text too wide.  It's easier on the eyes if text is no longer
than a dozen or so words per line.

But I'm really straying from the topic at hand ...

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology