Having problems with the user preferences.

Bill Mitcheson turtle@pyramus.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:03:08 -0800

We are using:

FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
Apache 1.3.14
Horde 1.2.4
IMP 2.2.4
MySQL 3.23.26-beta

We are still getting the following error when trying to update the
preferences page:

Warning: MySQL: Unable to save result set in
/a/samson/usr/exports/webpages/service/horde/imp/lib/db.mysql on line
229

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output
started at
/a/samson/usr/exports/webpages/service/horde/imp/lib/db.mysql:229) in
/a/samson/usr/exports/webpages/service/horde/imp/templates/doctype.inc
on line 8

                 An error occured; your full name was not updated.

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Bill Mitcheson <turtle@pyramus.com> wrote:

> I have the db_settings set to root@localhost with the appropriate
> password.

Now, you realize that MySQL has its own "root" user which has its own
password, separate from your UNIX/Linux root password, right?  Did you
use
the horde/scripts/database/mysql_create.sql script to set up the
database?
You probably should be using a MySQL user like "hordemgr" rather than
the
MySQL root password.

> Would anything in IMP run if this were incorrect?

Aside from PHPLIB sessions, preferences and contacts would be the only
two
things IMP uses the database for.  So yes, it could all be working
except
for those, if the database settings aren't right.

I had asked:

> > Can you use the host, user, password, etc. specified there
> > to log into MySQL from the command-line on the IMP server?  This
makes
> > sure MySQL in general is working.

I have the following settings:

/* Database Configuration */
$default->use_db                         = true;
$default->database_driver                = 'mysql';
$default->db_user_name                   = 'hordemgr';
$default->db_password                    = 'password';
$default->db_security_nag                = true;
$default->db_name                        = 'horde';
$default->db_server_name                 = 'db.example.com';

Then you should be able to run this command from the shell on the
server:

mysql -h db.example.com -u hordemgr -p horde
Password: <type password>

If that doesn't connect, then that's your problem... the MySQL database,

tables, and user aren't set up right, or the settings don't match.  Then

you'd want to re-read the install documentation for the database part.

> By the way we would like to thank all of you at the Horde project for
> creating something that is really well thought out and professional
> looking! We have searched long and hard for a webbased e-mail service
> that does not use POP. We have problems with our customers using POP
> because it deletes the mail from our server after they check their
> mail. IMAP is the best thing to use for our service and you have
> definately created the best!

Thanks for the feedback; glad to know IMP is a good fit for you.  Now we

just have to get it to work.  ;-)

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>