[imp] Who is using SilkyMail?

lps@buffalo.edu lps@buffalo.edu
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:34:36 -0500

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:54:00PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

Thanks for the answers.

> > 3.  I also would like a list of sites currently using or planning on using
> >     SilkyMail and number of email accounts for each site.  I suspect the
> >     number of sites might be low since it only recently came off beta.
>
> This, I have no idea, since I haven't worked for Cyrusoft in over a year now.
>
> Can I ask you what factors make you consider Silkymail over IMP?
>
> -chuck

In our initial analysis our final three webmail candidates were NetWin WebMail
(WebIMAP), IMP, and SilkyMail.  They all seemed like good choices but after
some hemming and hawing we finally went with SilkyMail because -

1.  Support: 24 x 7 support call back support, business phone support, on-site
    installation support, etc for free because we have a Mulberry Site
    license.

2.  Looks & Feels closest to Mulberry - our recommended mail client here which
    alot of users use.

3.  LDAP & IMSP support.  Many users have preferences, etc stored in IMSP.  We
    also have an LDAP server containing a (almost) complete campus directory.

4.  Licensing is free (as with IMP).

5.  Based on IMP which is a pretty mature product (even though right now
    SilkyMail doesn't use the latest version) with lots of mailing list
    activity/support - which means indirect support for SilkyMail.

-Larry